Transfer Admission Guidelines
The University of New Mexico welcomes students transferring coursework earned at other institutions. Knowing how your credits will transfer to UNM will help you, and your academic advisor, determine the shortest path to your goal. The common Transfer Course Equivalency tool below will help you match your transfer credit with UNM equivalencies.
Students applying for admission to UNM with at least 24 transferable credits must have at least a "C" average (2.00 on a 4.00 scale) in all transferable college work attempted. Individual colleges or programs may have additional requirements. Please refer to the UNM Catalog for specific program requirements. Students applying for admission to UNM with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours must meet both transfer and freshmen admission requirements.
Steps to Apply for Admission
- Complete an application.
- Pay the $20 non-refundable application fee
- Send to UNM official transcripts from all colleges attended.
- If you have fewer than 24 transferable credits, please send official high school transcripts (or GED scores) and ACT/SAT scores to UNM.
- U.S. residents with international coursework must submit official transcripts from the international institution in both English and the native language if other than English.
- If you use the web application you may check your admission status by returning to the application and entering the ID and PIN you created when completing your application. Contact the Admissions Office at 505.277.8900 or Chat with us if you have questions.
Steps After Admission
- Create your NetID at my.unm.edu and establish your UNM Email address – this is the official form of communication from the university.
- Sign-up and attend an orientation program – you must attend an orientation program and meet with your academic advisor to be eligible to register for courses.
- If you are a current Lottery Success Scholarship recipient, submit the scholarship transfer transcript.
- Use LOBO Trax to review how credit from previous institutions has been applied toward your UNM degree. The LOBO Trax Degree Audit system will show you how officially transferred credit has been applied to your degree plan, as well as courses you should plan to take to fulfill remaining degree requirements.