The University of New Mexico welcomes students transferring coursework earned at other institutions. Tens of thousands of transfer students have made UNM their home and earned their bachelor’s degrees—now is your time and we welcome you apply now!
First, you should apply for admission as a transfer student if you have earned at least 24 semester credit hours at another college or university after completing high school. If it’s less, we will still consider you but you’ll need to also meet freshman admission requirements.
You can find out more below about requirements, how to apply, and what to expect once you’ve been admitted. Go Lobos!
Transfer admission requirements are simple:
- Have at least 24 transferrable credits with a minimum “C” average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in all transferrable college work attempted.
- Complete an associate’s degree (AA or AS) from a regionally-accredited community college.
Individual colleges or programs may have additional requirements. Please refer to each academic program’s website for specific program requirements.
Students applying for admission to UNM with fewer than 24 transferrable credit hours must meet both transfer and freshmen admission requirements.
For priority consideration, apply by the following dates: Fall - June 15; Spring - November 15; Summer - May 1.
How to Apply
It's never been easier to apply for admission to UNM as a transfer student. Complete the following steps and we'll have a decision to you quickly:
- Complete an application
- Pay the $25 non-refundable application fee
- Submit an official transcript from each college/university attended. Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope from the issuing college or school.
- If you have fewer than 24 transferrable credits, please send official high school transcripts (or GED scores) and ACT/SAT scores to UNM.
In addition, U.S. residents with international coursework must submit official transcripts from the international institution in both English and the native language if other than English.
And finally, if you use the web application you may check your admission status by returning to the application and entering the ID and PIN you created when completing your application. Contact the Admissions Office at 505.277.8900 or Chat with us if you have questions.
Congratulations! And welcome to the Lobo Pack! The following items are going to be important for your transfer to UNM:
- Create your NetID at my.unm.edu and establish your UNM Email address – this is the official form of communication from the university.
- Sign-up and attend an orientation program – you must attend an orientation program and meet with your academic advisor to be eligible to register for courses.
- If you are a current Lottery Success Scholarship recipient, submit the scholarship transfer transcript.
- Use LOBO Trax to review how credit from previous institutions has been applied toward your UNM degree. The LOBO Trax Degree Audit system will show you how officially transferred credit has been applied to your degree plan, as well as courses you should plan to take to fulfill remaining degree requirements.