The Class of 2025
Here are Class of 2025 updates (August 4) to share with you:You have many choices where to attend college, but by selecting to attend UNM you are going to experience one of the most diverse student environments…UNM is ranked #19 on the U.S. News Diversity Index and in the top 2% of ranked universities in the world (Center for World University Rankings). You'll meet students from all over the nation and world, in a Research I environment that exists in only 134 institutions in the nation. ¡Go Lobos!
Woo hoo! So close to the start of classes--you are about to be Lobos!
Yes, you are coming to a Research I institution, one of only 134 in the nation (of about 5,200 colleges and universities in the nation!) And the only one in New Mexico. You are going to have the academic experience of a lifetime. Welcome, Lobos!
- Orientation. Reserve your spot for Fall 2021 New Student Orientation (NSO) at nso.unm.edu. This is an important next step.
- There are a number of virtual orientation sessions to choose from. Feedback from last year's entering class was exceptionally positive--it will be a great experience and from the comfort of your location!
- At orientation, you'll learn more about programs and services, but most importantly you'll meet with an academic adviser and get registered for classes. That's where the magic begins!
- Other next steps can be found in the Admitted Student Checklist.
- We will hold in-person Fall 2021 classes. And, yes, this includes instruction in classrooms for which we will implement all necessary precautions. The class schedule is built for fall and about 80% of fall semester classes will be held in person.
- See UNM's plan for Bringing Back the Pack. There is a new Vaccination Requirement, which was just released this week. Cases are increasing across the nation and public health at UNM is important. You can read more at https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/vaccine/vaccine-requirement.html
- NM Residents - The New Mexico Higher Education Department recently released the official Lottery Scholarship amount. The Lottery Scholarship will now pay 100% of tuition at UNM.
- By comparison, last year the rate was 67% of tuition. It’s great news.
- The UNM Student Financial Aid Office is currently updating student awards to reflect the change. Be sure to check your updated financial aid award in LoboWeb by Monday, June 14, 2021.
- For incoming first-year students, it can begin in the second semester of enrollment; for transfers that bring their award to UNM, it begins immediately.
- (New!) Federal stimulus funds. All students that submit a FAFSA or state aid form will be receiving additional funds, up to $2,100 more in resources for Fall 2021. More assistance, more resources, so submit an aid form. Regardless of citizenship status, we have resources for you. Questions? Email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lobo Library!We have just developed and published something called "Lobo Library" that has all kinds of resources and information for admitted students. It's a pre-New Student Orientation site (with an intro video from me) that you should check out here.
- Our New Student Checklist will also help you understand the "next steps" to becoming a Lobo!
- (New!) Where is my bill? Bills are generated AFTER registration for classes, so if you haven't been to a New Student Orientation (NSO) yet, it hasn't been generated. However...
- Bills are generated on the 10th of each month, so if you registered for classes on the 19th of the month, the bill won't post until the 10th of the next month.
- But you can still see the charges in your student portal. Great info here http://bursar.unm.edu/billing/billing-info-dates.html
- Finally, consider a payment plan. It breaks up the payments, if anything is owed after financial aid and scholarships, into installments that can be helpful. Last day to get 5 installments set up is Aug 27…then it goes to 4 installments, etc.
- Cool Resources for Admitted Students
- UNM Class of 2025 Facebook Page. Admitted students can now join a Facebook group to talk with others, ask questions, and get to know your future classmates! This was created by admitted students, for admitted students. It's at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1044091252727356/.
- UNM Class of 2025 LoopChat. Paste it in your phone browser to open the app--and download the app--and join! Again, created by admitted students just like you. Check it out and start a conversation! I'm active on this chat and available to offer support and information.
- Information Sessions. We are offering live information sessions online, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 3:00pm MST. Register here and we’ll see you via video conference and answer your questions.
- Contact us. Admissions and enrollment staff and services are available online through live chat to help with many, many questions and processes. Try it!
- Campus tours. We are now conducting in-person campus tours for all students--and lots of choices during the week and Saturdays. You can sign-up here.
- We also have a couple of different virtual tours available here—one is the same tour you’d get in person, delivered by one of our student tour guides, and the other is a self-guided tour of important facilities and landmarks on the UNM campus.
- Housing. We do plan to open housing to students in the fall at 100% capacity, and yes roommates, in accordance with State approvals and appropriate precautions to ensure student health and safety. Register now and get your best choice of location (confession: they're all good locations.) Here's the link.
- You can see photos and videos of the housing options online. And here's a pretty good video of student living at UNM!
- If you are from out-of-state and starting as a first-year student at UNM, you must live on campus for the first year. So sign up for UNM housing now!
- Resource Centers. Find your pack and get support by learning more about UNM’s Student Resource Centers.
- Financial Aid. The 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid or (FAFSA) is available to complete.
- Additional aid is still being packaged. We expect Lottery awards to increase, the new NM Opportunity Scholarship awards to still go out, and federal stimulus funds to be granted. Some of these millions of dollars in resources will be dependent upon a FAFSA on file, so if you haven't already completed it--do it today.
- Parents. I know you read this page, too, so here's a link to our Parent and Family Programs you should check out. You can join a listserv and get important updates and info about resources.
I want you to join us for a world-class education at the University of New Mexico--a Carnegie Research I university, a national flagship. Great weather all year and nearly a hundred degree programs that will challenge you, prepare you for a career, and give you opportunities that are only afforded at a university like UNM. The future is bright and I promise an outstanding educational experience when you chose to attend the University of New Mexico. And my personal commitment is to help in any way possible; contact me directly at email@example.com if I can help. I'll even give you a personal tour of campus.
Dan D. García
Vice President for Enrollment Management
The University of New Mexico